Top 20 Local Eateries in Lafayette
At Meritus Credit Union, we understand the importance of shopping local. Every dollar spent in the local community makes a difference for locally owned businesses. From October 1 – October 16, 2020, the Louisiana Credit Union League is hosting a statewide initiative called CU Lunch Local. This initiative encourages credit unions to give back to their communities by dinning at local restaurants. From the league, “Since LCUL launched CU Lunch Local, Louisiana credit unions have given back more than $150,000 to local businesses.” Meritus CU is participating by encouraging our staff and the community to eat and shop local!
We might be biased but Lafayette has some of the most delicious food, which makes choosing local restaurants to dine at pretty easy. Below are 20 of our favorite local eateries in the Lafayette area. Hopefully this list will give you some inspiration and guidance on where to dine locally!
- Abacus is known for their praline chicken and offers other delicious options from their buffet Monday through Friday from 11am – 2pm.
- Johnson’s Boucaniere is known for their smoked meat, boudin and BBQ. They also have a great gumbo.
- Joey’s, established in 1981, offers daily lunch specials as well as a market with prepared foods, specialty meets, sweets and more.
- Bon Temps Grill is a family owned restaurant that offers authentic Cajun cuisine.
- Spoonbill Watering Hole & Restaurant is located in downtown Lafayette with a variety of seafood dishes along with other savory and sweet options.
- Dwight’s Restaurant offers daily lunch specials, BBQ, boiled crawfish and other seafood options.
- Twin’s Burgers & Sweets is the place to go for a good burger and tasty sweets such as cupcakes, cookies, ice cream and more.
- Tchoup’s MIDCITY Smokehouse is a new spot offering BBQ plates, sandwiches, salads and more.
- Saigon Noodles offers authentic Vietnamese cuisine and is known for their Pho.
- Tsunami is a sushi restaurant that opened in 1999 in downtown Lafayette. From Tsunami, "the menu offers standard sushi rolls, nigiri and sashimi and even some with a little South Louisiana enhancement."
- Antoni’s has served Lafayette delicious Italian food for over twenty years. You can choose from pastas, calzones, pizzas and more.
- Central Pizza is newer to the scene but has quickly became a favorite. Their pizza is the focal point, but they also offer pasta, sandwiches and tasty starters.
- Café Habana City offers a variety of Cuban cuisine dishes, with chicken, beef, pork and shrimp options.
- Taco Sisters serves “healthy food fast.” You can expect tacos, salad and more made with fresh ingredients.
- Laura’s Two is a great option for plate lunches with daily specials Monday through Sunday.
- Olde Tyme Grocery has been providing delicious po’boys in Lafayette since 1982. They offer gourmet specials and catering services.
- Rachael’s Café is a family-run business of Cajun & Creole cuisine. You can expect plate lunch specials Monday through Friday as well as ‘fit meals’ for more healthy options.
Bakeries & Cafes
- Poupart’s Bakery has many dessert options such as cakes, king cakes, pastries and more. They also have a large assortment of breads.
- Rêve Coffee Roasters has multiple locations with fresh brews, “house baked pastries, and delightful breakfast and lunch offerings.”
- Rickey Meche’s Donut King was founded in Lafayette in 1970 and offers donuts, kolaches, king cakes and other baked items.
As you can see, there are many local restaurants to choose from (and even more that are not listed here). Let’s support our community by choosing a local restaurant when thinking about dining out. This will help the local businesses and our economy! Enjoy!