What is Your Money Love Language?
You’ve probably heard about how love languages can help you understand how you “give & receive love” in your relationships, but did you know that your relationship with money may also be affected by your top love language? Financial Gym has a great article on associating love languages with financial needs. We wanted to expand on how financial decisions can be connected to your love language to help you achieve healthy money habits. In relationships (and most likely in finance practices), people tend to lean towards one or two love languages, but a balance of each category can also be beneficial. Below are financial recommendations associated with each love language:
- Spend quality time with your budget each month. This will help you be concise with your spending and allow you to move budget line items around to fit your needs during the month.
- If you have a spouse or significant other, schedule “money dates” to make sure you’re on the same page with your goals.
- Use cash instead of credit cards. This will allow you to feel the true weight of your spending.
- As you start using cash more, save your coins. The coin stash can later be used for Christmas presents or other miscellaneous items. Don’t forget that we have a coin counting machine available at our Lafayette branch.
Acts of Service
- If you need help setting financial goals, reach out to someone who you know is good with their finances and ask for their assistance.
- If you have strong money habits, help others with their financial goals.
- Reward yourself for meeting your financial goals. We recommend to not be extravagant, but find something that will motivate you.
- If you are a gift giver, make sure to have a budget line item in your budget for gifts so that you don’t overspend.
Words of Affirmation
- Collect “money mantras” that inspire you and that will encourage you to stay on track. Place the mantras somewhere that will help you see them daily.
- Seek a financial coach who can guide you on your financial wellness journey.
There are many ways to budget and save, but it’s important to figure out what works best for you while working towards your financial goals. Check out some of our past blog posts for more savings advice.